Welcome to Delawaresportszone.com and WDEL’s high school plays of the week.
A big factor for this week was the DIAA football championships held at Delaware Stadium in Newark on Saturday.
Matches featured Middletown versus Smyrna for division one, unified flag football championship with Newark Charter and Smyrna and topped off by Milford and Delmar duking it out for the division two title.
WDEL and DSZ had live coverage for over eight hours so we have the best of the best from there.
Also beginning this week was high school basketball with the opening games as well as a clip that made the cut from the A.I. duPont Tip Off Classic.
No honorable mentions this week with the tardy post.
10) Delmar’s Phillip Frazier hits Milford’s David Bowman like a mac-truck but it’s the textbook wrap and tackle that nets the hit in top plays. Shutting down Bowman gave the Wildcats their first division tow title since 2009 by a score of 14-7.
9) Milford’s Tyron Mifflin pull up and comes down with a big catch as the division two championship quickly became ‘who could excel in the air game.’
8) Our first basketball clip as the season began this week. St. Elizabeth has an exellent squad led by three seniors including Natahan Thomas who gets the easy layup after Jordan Brown does Tanall nasty on a pump-fake.
7) Coming off of an eight touchdown performance at A.I. duPont, Te’Shawn Dennard didn’t take long to get going. First wildcat possession and Dennard takes it to the house from 57 yards out.
6) Unified flag football at Tubby Raymond Field and Newark Charter going for the innagural plus one; Isaiah Anderson sees Smyrna trying to come back and says nope, this one’s mine.
5) Middletown gets beautiful strike from Drew Fry to Kenneth Edelin. The ball and toe get over the line. The comeback fails but Cavaliers have a great season and a great play of the week. The Cavaliers fall to Smyrna by a score of 30-27.
4) Delmar switches up the QB situation and Carson phillips who previously had 5 catches on the year grabs one of 4 in the championsip game. this one for the game-winning touchdown.
3) What fall plays of the week are complete without Will Knight? A 69-yard scamper officially cemented the Smyrna Eagles as the back to back to back division one champions. Knight will do more damage at the Tub as a Blue Hen next year.
Runner up) A viewer submission from a Red Lion, St. Georges JV basketball game; Blake Bryant puts it up and no waiting for march for a buzzer beater. Video courtesy of Bryan Bryant from Bear, DE.
DSZ top play of the week) Eric Anderson makes a big run down the sideline securing the Newark Charter Patriots as unified flag football champions for 2017. Pats defeat Smyrna by a score of 27-8.